Welcome to our website !

The Angora debate, and Ambikas friendly furs, the ethical way to wear fur.

By 12:23 , , , , , , , ,

So todays post is a bit of a different post to normal. I've been looking into sustainability and ethics within the fashion industry, and of course i've seen the media storm circling angora fur, where it comes from and how it's made, and quite honestly, I think it's disgusting. (Like most people I hope).

So here's the breakdown for those of you that don't know about the infamous angora video:

  • A secret video was made by animal rights group PETA which went viral almost as soon as it was put up, stating that 90% of the angora fibre comes from China. 
  • They also showed how the fur was removed from the angora rabbits (it was ripped from them, they screamed in agony, their skin was left red raw, and they were paralysed afterwards from shock and pain, and then kept in cages for 3 months until it all happens again.) 
  • Stores such as H&M, Zara and Primark all sell angora, and I bet you can guess where it comes from!


I'm not going to preach and say that I have never worn angora myself, of course I have. I never really knew what it was, let alone what was happening to the animals in order for me to wear the items. It's things like this that shock me, that we don't know as consumers where our clothing is actually coming from and how it is actually being made.




ANYWAY, i'm not going to continue ranting about angora, what I am going to mention is a company called Ambikas Friendly Furs, owned by designer, Ambika Conroy. You can find her website here.






Her work is not only ethically sourced, but it is all handmade, and in fact she owns her OWN angora rabbits, in which she looks after and cares for herself. She waits for her rabbits to molt and shed naturally before she takes the fibre, which she then spins and uses for her own garments. You can imagine how long this process must take to create one garment, but would you rather have a garment  that is beautifully made, with hours of work and no animals harmed in the making, or would you rather have 20-30 jumpers from Primark in which animals have been tortured for your own greed?



I will personally not buy into anymore angora, unless it has been 100% produced in an ethical manner,
and I honestly think that Ambikas work needs to be seen as it is breathtakingly beautiful.
She also shows her process from start to end which you can view here.

What are your opinions on this? 
That's all for now,
Ciao Bella! 
Tash
x

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm so glad to see another beauty/fashion blogger mentioning the subject of angora in their blog! definitely going to check this company:) x

    ReplyDelete